Wednesday, May 18, 2016

5 Facts About Your 30's


    It came like a thief in the night and hit me like a runaway train. I can’t stop it, I can’t turn back time, I can’t slow it down, it found me, and has shoved me into a new era…My thirties. That free pass to screw up has expired, and the life that was once a huge party, has turned into a boat load of responsibility. You can never prepare yourself for the changes you experience in your thirties, but here are a few of the ones that stick out the most.

Suddenly the Bar is a Very Lonely Place

    I’m the kind of guy that enjoys a good drink, and it taste even better at my favorite watering hole. When I was in my early 20’s we were there every night. Work? What was work? Work was a place you went to with a hangover and tried to survive until 4pm so you could get home and change and go back to the bar again to cure it. Monday nights were just as fun as Fridays, and all your friends were there EVERY time you were. Going home early meant leaving at 1 instead of 2 and drunk was the thing you were BEFORE you passed out on your stool. Your friends carried you home, your girlfriend was always drunker than you were, and life was perfect. 
   Those were the days. The bar today is an empty place. The bar is a place you go for “Happy Hour” and make sure to make it home by 9 to get ready for work the next day. The 20 friends that used to meet you there have dwindled to 2 or 3 and instead of being the “awesome” people that still party; you are simply the ones that “haven’t grown up”.  What used to be a place of debauchery and fun as turned into a place where you make fun of the “kids” around you that are acting like fools, and killing your buzz and complain about how much you used to love it, in the old days. Well the old days are no more, and the bar has apparently become a place where people “our age” don’t belong.

All My Friends are Now Married and Boring

    As someone that was a part of the married with kids crew for quite a while I can see the other side, and I’ll admit that I enjoyed it, it’s a great life; however now being on the OTHER side you realize how unavailable and boring we were to our single friends who were dying to hang out with us.  It’s a part of life and it will happen to most of us (we hope) but it’s a bummer and a definitive reminder that you are the one that apparently hasn’t gotten your sh*t together yet.

                                     Staying Up Late is a TERRIBLE Idea

    Staying up late used to be nothing. Go to bed at 2 and wake up at 6? NO PROBLEM!!! Now if  I go to bed at 11 and wake up at 7 I feel like hell…My eyes are swollen, my body aches and I feel like I could sleep for days. If I don’t get a solid 8 hours of sleep I’m a zombie at work. Something I didn’t even used to think about, is now something I plan for. Yes, I’m a grown up lights out by 10:30.


Hangovers are Suddenly Real, and I Mean REALLY Bad

    What more do I need to say here…The title says it all!!!

I'm Starting to Sound Like My Parents
   
    Most people my age have kids now, and if they don’t they want them. Those that do have kids, are watching them grow up, and go to school, and give us hell. We’re starting to talk to them about things we did when we were kids, and living our lives completely confused by their generation. I hate the music the "kids" listen to, and sit dumbfounded at their slang. It’s a given, having kids, or seeing your friends have kids ages you…Yep, we are getting old, soon they will be in college and we’ll go from parents to grandparents to great grand-parents. We can’t change it, but embrace it. It’s a scary thing, but its life.

No comments:

Post a Comment